About the Program
Walk through the kennels of Peggy Adams Animal Rescue League and many other larger animal shelters in Florida and around the nation and you’ll discover quite a few dogs we lovingly call “Square Heads.” Big, tall, short, small they have one thing in common – a head that looks a bit “square.” At first glance, some would call a dog like this a “Pit Bull” or a “bully breed”. But truthfully, these are simply the mixed breed dogs that are now one of the most popular and most beloved dogs in America!
Dolly’s Dream is a project to encourage the adoption of our “Square Heads” and to help counter the unfortunate stereotypes and myths that some people still believe about these dogs. Peggy Adams Animal Rescue League finds homes and new families for hundreds of these dogs each year. They are adopted by a wide variety of people – single people, couples, grandparents, and families with children of all ages.
Each month, the Dolly’s Dream project sponsors four great dogs available for adoption at Peggy Adams Animal Rescue League. When you choose to adopt one of these dogs, you and your new furry friend will receive:
- Fee-waived adoption ((A $20 rabies tag fee applies to Palm Beach County residents)
- Spay/neuter, microchip & updated on all age-appropriate vaccines
- Hill’s Pet Nutrition starter bag of food
- 30 days free of pet insurance with MetLife
- 1-week access to Good Pup ⇨ virtual at-home training through phone/computer, on-demand with flexible scheduling options
- 1 year supply of flea/tick & heartworm preventatives
- Complementary collar, harness, leash, toy, food & water bowl
Not sure if adopting a “Square Head” dog is the right fit for you? Learn more about these dogs on our "Busting Myths About Bully Breeds" resource page! Learn about the history of these breeds, bust some common bully breed myths, and read testimonials from happy pit bull Peggy alumni!
How it Started
"Dolly” (pictured here) was a Square Head who opened the heart of the man who adopted her and taught him how loving, sweet and gentle these dogs can be. No different than any other type of dog.
Today, in her honor, Dolly’s Dream is to give dogs like her a second chance at life and the type of home every dog deserves.