Learn About the Procedure
What Happens to My Pet?
- Spaying is the surgical removal of the reproductive organs of the female animal.
- Neutering is the surgical removal of the reproductive glands of the male animal.
- Dogs should be spayed or neutered by 6 months of age. Palm Beach County Ordinance 98-22 requires cats to be spayed or neutered and micro-chipped by four months of age unless medically contraindicated. Older animals can be treated as long as they are in good health.
- All sterilization surgery at the Peggy Adams Animal Rescue League is performed under general anesthesia by a licensed veterinarian.
- All dogs and cats will have a small green tattoo to identify them as a surgically sterilized animal. At the conclusion of surgery, a small amount of tattoo ink is placed parallel to the umbilicus for both male and female cats and dogs. This requires a small patch of hair on the midline abdomen to be shaved and prepared during surgical prepping.
Benefits of the Procedure
- Behavioral changes including no heat cycles, less desire to roam, decreased aggression, and a reduction or elimination of spraying or marking.
- Pets are protected from reproductive cancers and other diseases.
- Dogs and cats live longer, healthier lives.
- Public health dangers, such as Rabies, are reduced.
STEP 1 Submit an online application. Once you fill out the form, you will then be prompted to select an appointment time.
STEP 2 Many pet owners find it useful to be able to download post-surgical instructions.
If you have other questions, please call 561-472-8812 or email us.
For Community Cats: Please visit the Community (Feral) Cat Trap Neuter Return (TNVR) page.
Los formularios están disponibles en español: Aplicar en línea para la cirugía y revise las instrucciones post-quirúrgicas. Si programa en línea, usted debe presentar la solicitud y luego hacer la cita.
How Much Does it Cost?
- Cat Spay or Neuter: FREE for all Palm Beach County Cats, ( $50.00 for cats outside Palm Beach County)
- Dog Spay or Neuter: $150.00
- All canine surgeries require pre-payment within 48 hours of scheduling appointment
- Dolly's Dream Dogs qualify for FREE surgery. Schedule Your appointment>
- **Prices are subject to change without warning**