Learn About the Procedure
What Happens to My Pet?
- Spaying is the surgical removal of the reproductive organs of the female animal.
- Neutering is the surgical removal of the reproductive glands of the male animal.
- Dogs should be spayed or neutered by 6 months of age. Palm Beach County Ordinance 98-22 requires cats to be spayed or neutered and micro-chipped by four months of age unless medically contraindicated. Older animals can be treated as long as they are in good health.
- All sterilization surgery at the Peggy Adams Animal Rescue League is performed under general anesthesia by a licensed veterinarian.
- All dogs and cats will have a small green tattoo to identify them as a surgically sterilized animal. At the conclusion of surgery, a small amount of tattoo ink is placed parallel to the umbilicus for both male and female cats and dogs. This requires a small patch of hair on the midline abdomen to be shaved and prepared during surgical prepping.
Benefits of the Procedure
- Behavioral changes including no heat cycles, less desire to roam, decreased aggression, and a reduction or elimination of spraying or marking.
- Pets are protected from reproductive cancers and other diseases.
- Dogs and cats live longer, healthier lives.
- Public health dangers, such as Rabies, are reduced.
STEP 1 Many pet owners find it useful to be able to download post-surgical instructions.
STEP 2 Submit a Dog Application or a Cat Application. Once you fill out the form, you will then be prompted to select an appointment time.
If you have other questions, please call 561-472-8812 or email us.
For Community Cats: Please visit the Community (Feral) Cat Trap Neuter Return (TNVR) page.
Los formularios están disponibles en español: Aplicar en línea para la cirugía y revise las instrucciones post-quirúrgicas. Si programa en línea, usted debe presentar la solicitud y luego hacer la cita.
How Much Does it Cost?
- Cat Spay or Neuter: FREE for all Palm Beach County Cats, ( $50.00 for cats outside Palm Beach County)
- Dog Spay or Neuter: $150.00
- All canine surgeries require pre-payment within 48 hours of scheduling appointment
- Dolly's Dream Dogs qualify for FREE surgery. Dolly's Dream Dogs qualify for FREE surgery. Funding is available for 300 dogs with special thanks to grant funding provided by Dolly's Dream and Palm Beach County. Services include vaccines, a microchip, and e-collar. This grant only qualifies for Palm Beach County dogs. Download Flier>
- **Prices are subject to change without warning**